Cormorant Gets Best Valentine’s Day Gift Possible
On February 5, 2010, we received an immature Double-crested Cormorant that had swallowed a fishing hook. The monofilament was hanging from his mouth. His wing was also constricted by monofilament and fishing hardware.
The bird was transferred to Adobe Veterinary Hospital the next day for a radiograph. The fishing hook was lodged in his proventriculus (upper portion of GI) and the hospital conducted surgery that evening to remove it. After spending some time recuperating at the Center, the cormorant was released at Almaden Lake in South San Jose on Valentine’s Day. Thanks to volunteer Victoria Wolter for providing the video below of the happy occasion.
Thank you also to Adobe Veterinary Hospital staff for their incredible medical care and support and to our volunteers for transport and all the continued care.